Saturday, December 5, 2020

On IT by Stephen King

Notes > fiction











I spoke about IT here and here


Personally I have periods during which I read many works of fiction, and periods where I don't. The fact of the matter is that a lot of fiction is mediocre and it doesn't deliver. This even applies when it comes to a single author: IT is one of my all-time favourites, but The drawing of the three is so dry and boring that I can hardly get through. 

IT does deliver and it does this for a few reasons:

1) It's written around a theme (the imagination and friendship from our childhood is like nothing else)

2) It's entertaining.

3) It deals with things that we can't quite comprehend by inventing stories

4) It leans heavily on the power of nostalgia, which is something that we all need from time to time (as a reminder not just of how things used to be, but also what it was like to be a kid and how we were as kids ourselves)


When to read? 

- During slow periods.

- When you have some stuff to figure out, but you don't know yet exactly where to begin.

- When you have the need to relive what it was like 'back in the days'.


Continue reading

On 2666 and Savage Detectives
On underdogs and fighting the system.


On Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace
An analysis in three parts: part 1, part 2 & part 3.


On Do I amuse you? by Salvator Paine
On a free short story that I found online.

No comments:

Post a Comment